Legal Guide for Starting and Running a Small Business
Just getting a small business up and running means long hours and extended work weeks. But when legal issues loom, an owner may find he's out of time, energy and ideas. The articles in this section are designed to provide the answers to dozens of questions - from how to find the right attorney, to the legalities of business structure, employment regulation and asset protection.
- How to Find the Right Attorney - Hiring a skilled and experienced attorney can be critical to the long-term health and success of your business. Here's how.
- How a Lawyer Can Protect and Assist Your Business - Don't wait until you need an attorney; be proactive and learn about how an attorney can make all the difference.
- Understanding Legal Fees - Understanding how lawyers bill can help keep your costs down while still allowing you to receive great legal advice and services.
Setting Up a Business
- How to Determine the Legal Structure of Your Business - Make an informed decision about the type of corporate structure that is right for your business.
- Setting up an E-Commerce Site: Basic Considerations - E-commerce lets you serve new customers and expand your business. This article provides an overview of the legal aspects of operating e-commerce sites.
- Website Policies: Returns, Privacy, and Terms and Conditions - Learn how to protect your business and your customers by setting clear expectations.
Employment Law, Discrimination, and Dispute Resolution
- Understanding Employment Laws - Learn which laws and guidelines your business must follow - and how to avoid costly lawsuits.
- Avoid Discrimination and Encourage Diversity - Follow simple guidelines to avoid discrimination, and be proactive by encouraging diversity.
- Avoid / Minimize the Effects of Employee Litigation - Learn how to treat employees fairly, avoid lawsuits, and minimize the effects if a lawsuit is filed.
- Effective Alternatives to Litigation - Learn how to settle some disputes more quickly and at a lower cost through mediation and arbitration.
- Understanding Contracts - Learn what constitutes a contract and an overview of the most common types of contracts.
- Ensure Your Contracts Provide Protection from Liability and Loss - Learn how to protect your business, including terms and conditions you should always include.
- Employment Agreement - It's important to have formal agreements with your employees to layout the terms of employment, protect you from competition by former employees, and protect your confidential information.
- Copyrights, Trademarks, and Patents - Learn about the various ways you can legally protect your intellectual property.
- How to Register Trademarks and Copyrights - Online trademark and copyright registration is easier than ever; learn the basics of handling the process yourself.
- Websites - Learn how to protect your text, photos, images, and other web-based creative content.
- Avoid Antitrust Violations - Even small businesses can inadvertently violate antitrust laws; learn how to protect yourself and your company.
- Small Business Insurance - The right business insurance helps you stay competitive, weather unforeseen accidents or events, and overcome catastrophes.
Copyright © 2005-2018 Small Business Resources. www.sbresources.com. All rights reserved.